Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Journery So Far...

The journey so far has been comparable to that of a rollercoaster.  Throughout this experience, the doctors and nurses at Vanderbilt have informed us that a preemie baby in the NICU is a rollercoaster.  There are ups and downs, and things can go really well and then sometimes not so much.  The hubby and I have definitely ridden this rollercoaster and still are. We aren't enjoying the dips so much, but we also look forward to the peaks. 

Our first peak with Langston was when he started his feedings.  I began pumping shortly after giving birth, and was so excited to know that I was provided the necessary food for my child.  The doctors made the call to start Langston on breast milk on the 20th of March.  He was doing really well, and tolerated his feedings well.

Our second peak was on the 28th of March, when I got to hold my sweet boy for the first time.  Naturally, I  cried when Langston was removed from his oselette. He was so tiny at 2 lbs 2 ounces.  While I held our sweet son for the first time, I cried softly and watched his put his fingers in his mouth to suck gently.  I held my son for the very first time and it was magical, truly magical.



On March 30th, Langston was put on Vapotherm and removed from the CPAP machine.  Our little guy is feisty and he was determined to get off the Vapotherm machine.  We hated the CPAP machine because his cap so tight on his little head, and you couldn't see his precious face.  We were so excited when he was put on the Vapotherm machine, and Langston was a happier baby with Vapotherm. 

Our peaks were a bit short lived, because on the 31st, we had our first dip.  On March 31st, we received a call that our son needed a blood transfusion.  I had returned to school after having Langston, and my husband called to inform me of the news. I cried while I rushed to the hospital to be by his side. Our good friends, the Adcocks, and my husband's parents came to the hospital to be with us while Langston received the blood he needed.  I was not in a good spot mentally or emotionally during this time, and was not prepared for this dip.  However, the doctors continued to warn us that this was normal. 

On April 4th, we purchased the Langston mobile. I drove a Pontiac G6, and the hubby and I discussed that my car was not conducive to a newborn or growing child.  My daddy, the car expert, gladly tagged along while we car shopped.  We left the lot with this sweet girl.  Meet the Langston Mobile:


She's adorable and we love her. We can't wait to bring him home in his new car!

We hit a another valley on April 5th, when Langston was diagnosed with an infection.  I held him on both the 6th and and 7th to help me deal with the fact that he was sick.  It was later determined that our sweet boy had medically managed NEC, an infection that is common to preemie babies. 

Our dip hit a peak, when I was able to give our sweet baby a bath on the April 9th.  He loved having his hair and face washed, but he hated getting the rest of his body washed.  It is going to be fun bathing him at home.  I heard his cries very clearly for the firs time, and they were perfect.  I had never heard a sweeter cry than the cries of my sweet boy. 

Our sweet boy after his first bath from Mommy!


My first shower and return to work are up next.......

No comments:

Post a Comment